Saturday, November 12, 2011

Just the beginning

This is the beginning of another project. I think I may take a whole year playing with this one, so you will see it from time to time.

In her blog,  Lynn of Patchery Menangerie suggested a quilt along of wonky houses and wonky trees through the seasons. I have joined in the fun.

I have made many liberated houses, but not trees.  My yard is full of trees.  Different trees are really beautiful at different times of the year, so I decided that my focus will be the trees in my yard in appropriate seasons. I also decided that I would make just one house. You never know,  I could make other views of it in the future.

 I really do most of this kind of work on the fly. I seldom sketch anything out, because I end up ignoring it anyway.  The way I start is to choose a fabric and begin cutting, thinking about what should go next to it, thinking where the ground is, where the sky is, etc.  I make each piece and put it together as I go along.  I don't try to match seams, so there is plenty of odd tilting, which I think makes a more interesting "picture" in the end.

As I said,  this is just the beginning...  It is autumn. Here is my house with a Norway Maple and a Norway Spruce.  (I live in SE Michigan.  Norway varieties of trees were popular in neighborhoods developed in the late 60's.  They grow big very quickly.)  I will be making more "autumn" trees soon.








5 comments:

  1. This is great. I love buildings and trees in a quilt, and yours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! I love it! Can't wait to see what else you do. LOVE your branching tree!

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. TREES indeed. I can't wait to see where this goes ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start on a fun project! I love the "lampshade" and "triangle" trees!

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.... I enjoy hearing from you.