Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nuts and Bolts


Working on slowly progressing projects can be frustrating.  I am at a stop and think point for at least two of my projects.... But I can't show them to you just yet.

Consequently,  I needed to do something that reached near completion... and brightened the sewing room and my spirits a bit against the gray winter we've had here. (I shouldn't complain about the weather, as it has been unusually balmy here.  So far no major snow storms or ice storms, and relatively warm temps.)  I didn't want to feel like I was spinning wheels and getting nowhere.

Anyway, I poked through some of Kaffe's books and really liked his bow-tie quilt in Simple Shapes, Spectacular Quilts.   I decided to go ahead and make it, but not copy it or use his fabrics.  Instead, I was influenced by a color combination that he has for one of his fabrics,  the yellow-green lotus fabric.



















I pulled all the fabrics from my stash that fit the color scheme .  This is a picture of the "left overs".




















Here's what I made:












I like the way the yellow centers seem to float over the quilt.









It measures 72 x 48.  It is now waiting for quilting... a finished flimsy, at least.



3 comments:

  1. Oh so lovely. Great explanation of what inspired you. I am working on some much smaller (3") bowties and was going to straight set them. Now they may go around in groups of 4. I love this block because the settings can be so varied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is amazing! I love your colour choices, it really glows! I think its better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful. I love the colors you chose and the way you placed them. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.... I enjoy hearing from you.