Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A little coloring helps a lot

As many of you know, I've been playing with the triangle galore block for ages. Sometimes I find that what appears distinctive up close can get lost from the distance,  even something "big" like a 4.5 inch triangle. The problem is that the values of adjacent fabric are too similar and swallow the one that is supposed to stand out.  This time I didn't scrutinize the color combo from a distance, or even squint at it. Consequently, I fell into that trap.

Normally, I would resort to the seam ripper and remove the weak triangle and insert one of a stronger color.  But. sometimes I'm lazy.  I certainly didn't want to deal with the "right way" this time.  The lost triangle was one of the two first to be sewn in the sequence, which meant the whole block would have to be torn apart.

Crayons to the rescue!  Years ago, I took part in an informal lesson where we colored quilt blocks with good ol' Crayola crayons.  (Not the washable kind) .  The crayon color can be set with heat and it works especially well with light fabrics.  So I dug out my box of crayons, found a color I liked and colored.  I placed a piece of sand paper under the triangle to stabilize it and also to help the crayon rub more strongly.


















Then I placed paper towel over the triangles and pressed it with a hot iron.  The wax is absorbed by the towel and the color is left on the fabric.




















Ahh.  Much better,  This is not my favorite block in the series, but it will work.



3 comments:

  1. That is just brilliant. I'm working on the same blocks and will keep this in mind going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SOOOOO brilliant!!! WOW! what a difference! I need to make three more of my blocks... can you just come over and we can finish them up together?? :-) wouldn't that be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, my first thought was BRILLIANT, and then I look at the comments and others thought the same. I'm sticking to it. Brilliant idea Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.... I enjoy hearing from you.