Friday, May 4, 2012

P is for...

Progress # 1

The wedding quilt top is coming along.  I've made three more "blocks" since my last post.  Five more to go and I should be able to start cobbling this baby together.  As I begin to see the end of the project, I have to remind myself that no matter what... it will take time.  The last laps seem to take the longest;  I've never run track, but I imagine that it sometimes feels that way.

(Teotihuacan- Pyramid of the Sun)





















mosaics - note the diamond




















































Progress #2


The triangles galore quilt now numbers 21 bocks.  I'm shooting for 35! I'm gonna run out of room on the design wall.



































Parts


Quilt "parts" are one of the ideas that Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran have advocated in their books, Collaborative Quilting and Freddy and Gwen Collaborate Again.  They found that making basic pieces such as HST's or nine patches, or piano keys, or spikes, in advance of their meetings made the designing process a lot more efficient. Each of them put together a stash of parts using their scraps and with no set quilt pattern in mind.

I've been making parts, too. I have no set plans for them, but I know I'll use them somehow, someday.    I always sew together HST's of the cut off triangles from the corners of flying geese or snowballs (even if they are tiny).  I sew together elongated triangles left over from the Triangle Galore project which will make skinny spikes or divided rectangles. I sew these pieces together in the Leader and Ender style of Bonnie Hunter... I have a stash of pieces by my sewing machine.  As I start a series of sewing, I will begin the process with one set of the parts and then when I come to the end of the project, I'll sew another together.  These leaders and enders take the place of the bit of scrap that is often used at the start of a seam so that fabric and thread don't make an annoying birds nest or jam into the "hole" in the machine.  (Sometimes I forget which project I am really working on and end up sewing several parts in a row before I remember they are supposed to be the leader and ender.  LOL)   Here's just a wee handful of my parts.  Those HST's measure 1.75 inches square.















































Play


The Bloggers BOM for this month was designed by Amy of Mrs. Schmenkman Quilts.
These are my four blocks.



















The New'Bee made-fabric bee over on 15minutes play.com... Beebee asked for this star of made fabric and a bright solid around it.  The solid fabric is really a lot brighter than it appears here.  My made fabric was made from tiny scraps, so there is lots of variety.





































Parcel


Look what arrived in the mail all of 40 minutes ago!  Gwen's newest book!  Published by AQS.




















It is FABULOUS.  No matter what your quilting style is -  modern, traditional, scrappy, applique, wonky, liberated, amish solids- there is something of interest in this book.   It holds lots of fun and inspiration and how-to hints!  Gwen shares the spotlight with a number of BIQR students.   I highly recommend this book.  I'm looking forward to taking a really good look at all the quilts.  I'm going to Gwen's retreat in October and Liberated Medallions is the focus.  So excited!


5 comments:

  1. Wow . . . that Barcelona block is beautiful. I can't wait to see the whole quilt together. I only have 6 of the triangles blocks done. Yours are beautiful! That is going to be a great quilt. I do sort of the same thing you do with "parts". You are a lucky girl to be going to the Gwen Marsden seminar. I would love to do that some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get the book!!! I didn't realize it was out.

    I've been sewing the itty bitty HSTs as well. Not sure what they will go in, but I'll have them when the time is right. I was thinking a collection might make an interesting start to a medallion quilt.

    Have on my "list" to start making parts for BIQR this year. I'm thinking a Frida Kahlo/Day of the Dead number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your city blocks, esp Guanujuato. you've got all sorts of fun stuff going on. whee, you get to retreat with Gwen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my good gracious.. the name blocks, the pyramid... those are outstanding. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your posts & work :) You're so lucky you're going on the BI retreat! It was already full when I checked some time ago. Her books are wonderful and her newest one is no different :) Enjoy~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.... I enjoy hearing from you.