Monday, March 3, 2014

Play time keeps me sane

Sorry I have been absent for so long. Since October I've been cleaning, polishing, packing.  We are in the process of selling our home for a move to Maine.  That is a long time dream and for us it is move now or never.  We know where we want to live, but won't own a house to go to until after we get there. This makes for some challenging packing decisions...what to bring... what to pass along to others, etc.

Anyway, we are finally at a point where we haven't too much to do and we can now breathe a little.  Breathing a little means time to play with fabric!  I've packed a lot of my larger stash, but scraps are still accessible.  I've challenged myself to play with solid scraps.  I have a library of Gwen Marston's books and look through them regularly.  I'm sure you'll see the influence of her work on mine.


A Small Study   10" x 10"



Liberated Square in a Square  9"x9"

Another liberated square in a square that morphed into a "stripe in a square".  12" x 12"

Liberated Log Cabin   I didn't like this very much, so I kept one block and cut up the others

Log Cabin Medallion.  The cut up blocks made one border


Log Cabin Medallion as it is now.  22" x 22" .
 Ran out of fabric!  I'll add to it when I get to Maine and unpack my stash.





9 comments:

  1. Your work ethic, and your fabulous results, put me to shame. I love each and every one of these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them all, but LOVE the third example...how cool is THAT! You have such fabulous instincts and an excellent eye for this style of piecing. I have to work o hard at "wonky," then it just looks like I've worked hard. We've been in our house almost 20 years and are also contemplating a move in a year or so, after Riley graduates from H.S. It won't be pretty - we have accumulated FAR too much stuff. I should start NOW going through crap. How long have you all been in your house? We still need to get together!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love what you've been working on! They all look great! Sometimes it's fun to limit yourself in some way and see what you can come up with. I'd say this challenge was a "win" for you!

    Good luck with the moving and culling. We did so 8 years ago, and it was painful. We also moved with no new house to go to, and that was a leap of faith. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your medallion is simply fabulous (whether you add to it or not) -- best wishes for the move and resettling!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maine year round??? brrr but congrats! cute quilts and wow, love that stripe in a square in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your medallion and definitely see Gwen's influence in it. I've been wondering if you had moved yet ever since you told me about it at BIQR. I hope your house sells and the move goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. christmas medallion in the making!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so enjoyed our "tea and company" on Monday morning. I am really going to miss you when you are in Maine, but I am serious about visiting you there! Your "quilt courage," creativity, and artist eye have been so much fun to watch blossom over the years that I have know you. Your new Maine community is gaining such a treasure...I can't wait to hear about your new stitchy adventures near the Maine coast! Lots of love and luck, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a pattern for stripe in a square quilt...ready to try..luv it...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.... I enjoy hearing from you.