Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sitges - just a few more quilts and the town

Maybe I am saving the best for last.  My favorite special exhibit was that of Maria Luisa Gutierrez, a quilter from La Rioja province of Spain (North Central, just south of Basque and Navarre).  She  has made wonderful pictorial quilts, beautifully pieced and quilted.  I felt they reflected the nature and culture of her homeland in ways that I could appreciate.  I wish I could have taken classes from her.





Add caption

Stilt Walkers


the vineyards in the background were made with couched chenille


I loved being in Sitges.  It is a town of narrow pedestrian streets lined with shops of all sorts, cafes, and restaurants. Many apartments were in the upper floors. No obvious vegetation, but I am sure during the summer, the balconies would be covered with draping plants.   Cars are allowed only on a few streets almost all on the outskirts of the town. Everyone walks.  Sitges is right on the sea, so regular walks along the water are mandatory.  This walkway is lined with towering palm trees.
I was lucky to be there on some lovely sunny,but cool and windy days.  It rained only on the day I left.









Sitges has many, many cats roaming around in the back neighborhoods.  They pay very little attention to the all the people.  At one spot, a fork in the sidewalk and roads so to speak, someone made a little shelter and food station for the cats.  We saw only three cats here.  I wonder if others come at night or if these three are the only ones at this "shelter".

By far the strangest sight was this chicken.  Its owner was in the bakery getting his breakfast.  The chicken just sat in the box, totally unruffled by everyone stopping to look at it.


Add caption

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts - thanks for sharing.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing these beautiful quilts and scenes with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos r so beauty.. Thanks for share,,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.... I enjoy hearing from you.